Yes, we’re still very much in the middle of winter, but when it comes to your HVAC systems, planning ahead is always a good idea. It might seem far off now, but spring will be here before you know it, and when it arrives, you’re going to want to be prepared to use your air conditioning to combat the Louisiana heat and humidity.
Here are a few AC maintenance tips to help you make sure your air conditioning system is good to go by the time spring arrives in New Orleans, LA this year:
- Check the outdoor unit: Before you run your air conditioning for the first time, make sure you inspect the exterior unit, especially if you didn’t use a cover during the winter. Remove any debris that might have lodged itself in the system, including leaves, sticks or weeds. Clear an area surrounding the unit so it can operate without any potential impact from plants or items in its vicinity.
- Turn on the breaker: There are some homeowners who completely shut down power to their air conditioning during the winter. If you did this, make sure you put the breaker on the “on” position before you turn it on for the first time in the cooling season.
- Turn off a humidifier: If you have a humidifier in your home, you may need to turn it off during the air conditioning season. Some air conditioners are installed so they shut off humidifiers while they’re running, but they’re not always set up like that, so make sure you don’t have a humidifier running during air conditioning season. Otherwise, it will result in inefficient system operation.
- Perform simple maintenance: There are a few simple maintenance steps you can take before using your air conditioning to ensure you get the most efficient operation out of it. One of the simplest tasks you can perform is changing the air filter. Dirty air filters significantly reduce the ability of air to circulate through the system, which makes for higher energy costs as your unit runs less efficiently. You should also be sure to hose off the air conditioner. This is part of checking the outdoor unit, but worth restating—removal of debris and cleaning off the exterior unit will go a long way toward creating more efficient operation.
- Schedule a maintenance appointment: It’s always a good idea to get a professional out to your home at the beginning of the year to perform a thorough inspection of your system and provide any necessary maintenance. At the very least, this will help you enhance the efficiency of your system for the coming season. But it’s also an opportunity for you to find any potential vulnerabilities or small problems before they turn into larger (and more expensive) issues. While there is an initial cost associated with this service, it will save you a lot of money in the long run by helping you avoid major repairs.
To learn more about HVAC system maintenance in New Orleans, LA, including AC maintenance, contact JMB A/C & Heating LLC today.
Categorised in: Air Conditioner