Six Signs It’s Time to Look Into Furnace Replacement
Heating systems are important features in homes across the country. Fall and winter tend to bring cold weather, rain, even snow, and if storms have you cooped up at home, you will want your indoor environment to be as safe and warm as possible. With this in mind, it goes without saying that you need to take care of your heater. In fact, routine preventative maintenance is the key to a long-lasting, properly-functioning heating unit. It’s during this service that your heating technician in Chalmette, LA may suggest heater repair or replacement.
When it comes to heater trouble, the signs are not always clear. Here’s how to tell it’s time to look into furnace replacement in Chalmette, LA:
- High energy bills: If you’ve gone through a few winter seasons in your home, you probably have an idea of what your heating bill will look like. A little fluctuation up or down is not cause for concern, but unusually-high energy bills can mean that your system is running less efficiently. A malfunctioning system will make the indoor environment uncomfortable and not as warm as you would like. You may find yourself adjusting the thermostat more often.
- Uneven heating: The rooms and spaces in your home should be heating evenly (or close to it). Although the issue could be faulty ductwork, if different rooms in your home are heating unevenly it’s likely the result of a furnace issue. Keep in mind that the older the furnace, the harder it gets for it to push heat evenly throughout your living spaces.
- Noisy furnace: The level of noise you can hear coming from your furnace depends on a few things. First, there’s the location of the unit. A furnace installed in an isolated area of your home—like up in the attic or a in furnace closet in the garage—will be quieter than one that’s more exposed. If you notice your heating system running louder than normal—like it starts humming, buzzing or rattling—chances are it has leaks, cracks or some other structural issue. In this case, it’s time to replace the unit.
- Numerous repairs: Needing furnace repair in Chalmette, LA on a regular basis indicates it’s headed toward its demise. Check your repair and service bills for how many times you’ve called a heating contractor over the past couple years. If too many calls have been for repairs compared to annual inspections, consider investing in a new furnace.
- Rust or damage: Another telltale sign you should replace your furnace is visual indications of rust or cracks in or around the system. It’s important to note that cracks and rust will occur naturally over time as your furnace ages. If this is the case for your unit, you should seriously consider replacing it.
- Age: Many people still have the same furnace that was already in the house when they moved in. The average lifespan of a standard residential furnace is 15 to 20 years, depending on care, usage and model.
For information about furnace replacement or the importance of heater maintenance in Chalmette, LA, contact the team at JMB A/C & Heating LLC. We are here to help!
Categorised in: Heating Services