Seven Common Fall HVAC Problems in Chalmette, LA
September 24, 2019
When the seasons change, so do the outdoor temperatures. Is your heating system ready to keep you warm this fall? What should you watch out for? Here are seven of the most common fall HVAC problems in Chalmette, LA that homeowners might run into:
- Dirty air filters: The air filter is in place to trap dirt, pollen, dust and other airborne particles that would otherwise circulate throughout your living space. Since summer is a heavy pollen season, be sure to change out the filter before the start of fall. If you don’t replace it at the start of each new season (or once a month), then it cannot do its job properly and your home’s HVAC system won’t function as well as it should.
- System clogs: There are many places where your HVAC system can get clogged, including the air filter, ductwork, vents and even the heating or cooling unit itself. For example, outdoor units can suck dead yard debris into your HVAC system. Signs of this problem include a poorly running or struggling system.
- Refrigerant leaks: Refrigerant leaks are dangerous, and they can come about during the change in seasons, as your HVAC system could suffer a change in pressure. If the pressure reaches the refrigerant pipes, they could end up leaking and falling victim to severe damage. These types of HVAC leaks must be fixed immediately.
- Thermostat issues: Sometimes it’s not the furnace or air conditioner that has a problem. Another common issue that affects HVAC systems is a malfunctioning thermostat, which is a problem you can run into at any time. While the cold weather could be causing thermostat weirdness, the good news is that most seasonal thermostat problems have to do with the batteries dying. Try changing the batteries, then give the system a test run. Call a professional if this doesn’t fix the problem.
- Sensor failure: There may be several possible reasons for sensor failure in your central HVAC system. For one thing, a sudden temperature change going from summer to fall can put a lot of strain on a system. You may notice your system struggling to adjust to the temperatures you’ve set, which is not entirely unusual because fall weather can be unpredictable. Schedule a maintenance appointment early to address this issue.
- Unpleasant odors: Noticing a mild burning smell at the first furnace startup of the season is not something to worry about. This is often due to the burning off of dust that’s collected on the heating element during the long break since last winter. Call an expert if unpleasant smells linger when your heater is on.
- Strange noises: Although hearing rattling noises coming from your HVAC system is not all too unusual, don’t ignore it or will it to go away. On the one hand, the cause of a light noise could be something as minor as a little twig caught in the outdoor unit. But a loud banging or rattling could indicate a major problem, like compressor failure.
JMB A/C & Heating LLC HVAC can help diagnose and remedy HVAC system issues in Chalmette, LA. Get in touch with us today to schedule service.
Categorised in: AC Repair